Jian Ghomeshi ruling on sex assault charges won’t be appealed

Share Button

The Crown will not appeal Jian Ghomeshi’s acquittal on criminal charges of sexual assault and choking.

“After a review of the judge’s decision and the legal aspects of this case, the Crown has concluded that there is no legal basis upon which to appeal the acquittals,” said a statement from the office of Ontario Attorney General Madeleine Meilleur.

Ghomeshi was acquitted last month by Judge William Horkins in the Ontario Court of Justice on four counts of sexual assault and one count of choking.

Monday marks the end of the Crown’s 30-day window to file an appeal.

“This was clearly a difficult case for everyone involved,” said the statement from Meilleur. “I have full confidence in the job that our Crown prosecutors do in court every day, as well as all our justice sector partners.”

The statement noted that the Crown’s right of appeal is “limited to errors of law, and does not include errors relating to factual matters.”

Ghomeshi, 48, a former CBC Radio host, had pleaded not guilty to all the charges, which were related to assaults alleged to have taken place against three women from 2002 to 2003.

His acquittal sparked protests and triggered outrage among many, including women’s groups that felt the complainants were the ones put on trial.

Link:  

Jian Ghomeshi ruling on sex assault charges won’t be appealed

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *