Canadian killed in Barcelona remembered as ‘generous, adventurous’ man

Share Button

Ian Moore Wilson has been identified as the Canadian killed in the Barcelona van attack.

The father of Vancouver police officer Fiona Wilson was described by his daughter as “compassionate, generous, adventurous, and always game for a lively debate, a good book, exploring new places, and a proper-sized pint.”

In a statement posted to the Vancouver Police Department website the officer said her family had experienced “extraordinary acts of human kindness” over the last few days and wanted to focus on the generosity because that is what her father would have wanted.

She thanked her colleagues, the first responders who put their lives at risk to help the victims and those who assisted her mother, Valerie, by giving her urgent medical attention.

She also thanked “Albert, who threw a family member on the back of his scooter to rush him to the hospital after tragedy struck; to the Air Canada employee who offered up a personal discount pass to make emergency flights more affordable; to the people who assisted my dad in his final moments,” the statement said.

My dad’s passing leaves an immense void in our tight-knit family. He was desperately loved by us all and will be dearly missed,” she added.

Earlier Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed a Canadian had died and four others were injured in the attack in the popular Barcelona tourist area.

“It was with great sadness that I learned today that one Canadian was killed and four others injured during yesterday’s cowardly terrorist attack in Barcelona,” Trudeau said in a statement. “Sophie and I offer our condolences to the families and friends in mourning, and hope for a speedy recovery for the injured Canadians.”

Trudeau said Canada joins Spain and other countries around the world in remembering the victims and mourning the loss of so many innocent people.

“We must stand firm against the spread of hate and intolerance in all its forms. These violent acts that seek to divide us will only strengthen our resolve.”

barcelona aftermath makeshift memorial candle

A woman lights a candle at a makeshift memorial in the Las Ramblas district in Barcelona on Friday. (Jared Thomas/CBC)

Canadians in Spain were being advised to stay away from Las Ramblas tourist area in Barcelona, where an attacker drove a van into a crowd, killing at least 13 people and injuring more than 100.

A second attack occurred in the resort town of Cambrils southwest of Barcelona eight hours later, leaving one woman dead.

Reach out to loved ones

Global Affairs Canada urged Canadians in Spain to let their loved ones know they are safe.

In total, 13 people were killed in Barcelona and another in the separate attack in the nearby resort town of Cambrils. As many as 100 were injured.

Spanish authorities said the back-to-back vehicle attacks — as well as an explosion earlier this week in a house elsewhere in Catalonia — were related and the work of a large terrorist group. Four people were arrested in connection with the attacks.

Amid heavy security, Barcelona tried to move forward Friday, with its Las Ramblas promenade quietly reopening to the public and King Felipe VI and Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy joining thousands of residents and visitors in observing a minute of silence in the city’s main square.

“I am not afraid! I am not afraid!” the crowd chanted in Catalan amid applause.

Read this article:

Canadian killed in Barcelona remembered as ‘generous, adventurous’ man

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *